Can I get some service(s)?
General question to the folks in and around Houston: what web services are you using? The web has definitely taken a shift towards community based portals over the last few years, and I’ve seen some sites become really popular with other cities, but I have the nagging suspicion that Houston is under-represented. Maybe I’m looking at the wrong sites?
Put to good use:
- It looks like there are about 48,000 photos on flickr tagged “Houston”. Not bad at all.
- Indeed, tagging seems to work…
- Also highly active: 12,000+ personals; 22,000+ for sale; ~4,000 jobs and ~6,000 services.
- Though they haven’t updated much code since Yahoo bought them, and there are still issues to overcome, upcomming.org is a good model of what a community events calendar could be. Sadly, hardly anyone in Houston seems to use it. Only 19 events listed for Houston. Compare to 264 events currently listed for Los Angeles or 369 events for New York, and the 4th largest city in the country is barely a blip on the radar.
- Looks a little more promising–more than a thousand local events listed–but the demand queue is pathetically small. (OK, granted, that’s a new feature to the service, but we should get that thing populated and let bands, etc. know that we’d love for them to play here.)
Are there some web services I’ve overlooked? What are you using to track the goings on in the city?