Huge Gift

Have you heard? Our friends at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston have received a very large bequest from the estate of Caroline Weiss Law. Her father was one of the founders of Humble Oil which is now Exxon Mobil. Estimates are that the museum could receive as much as $450 million. 40% of the money will be set aside for 20th century art and the other 60% will be used for operations. The MFAH already has plans to start a capital campaign to build a third building to house 20th century and contemporary art. This bequest will ease the pressure on the operating budget while they build their new building. All around great news for art lovers in Houston. And we’ll ignore the fact that the city up I-45 just had to make their own announcement one day after ours.

Comments are closed.


Terms of use | Privacy Policy | Content: Creative Commons | Site and Design © 2009 | Metroblogging ® and Metblogs ® are registered trademarks of Bode Media, Inc.